Our purpose is to make a distinctive contribution of service and excellence, in the Catholic tradition, to higher education in Northern Ireland. St Mary's is an academic community committed to the search for meaning and value in the intellectual life, to academic excellence and to individual attention for students. We work for the development of the whole person in a Christian, values-sensitive environment in preparation for a lifetime of learning, leadership and service. We want the College to be a religious, educational, cultural and social resource for the local community and to show concern for the poor and powerless. We provide degree programmes in teacher education – with the option to learn through Irish as well as English – and in Liberal Arts. We offer our students high-quality teaching and high levels of support to foster effective learning. We aim to reduce traditional obstacles that prevent access to higher education, and to enable participation from a broad spectrum of society. We support economic regeneration and social development initiatives which facilitate peace building and the resolution of conflict. We are committed to a rich international dimension in College life. To further our mission, we work with a wide range of partners and seek to build fruitful and enduring relationships.The origins of the College can be traced back to 1900 when the Dominican Sisters opened St Mary's Training College on the present Falls Road campus with an enrolment of 100 women students. For nearly 50 years after that, the college was concerned with the education of women students and their preparation for teaching in primary schools. In 1948, four-year courses for post-primary teachers were introduced and, by arrangement with Queen's University, selected students could follow a combined course of university study and professional training. In 1949 a men's department was established at Trench House. In 1961 it ceased to be the men's department of St Mary's Training College and was constituted St Joseph's Training College. In 1968 the Senate of Queen's University granted St Mary's and St Joseph's recognition for the instruction of matriculated students of the university in courses leading to the degree of Bachelor of Education. In the 1970s, however, there was a decline in teacher education when the government decided, in response to falling school enrolments, to reduce the supply of teachers, and the Catholic bishops decided to amalgamate St Mary's and St Joseph's. The new college, called St Mary's University College, came formally into existence in September 1985. From 1994 to 1996, a major programme of building and refurbishment was undertaken on the Falls Road campus. In June 1996 Trench House closed its doors for the last time, and the entire College was relocated on the newly extended and enhanced Falls Road campus.
Our purpose is to make a distinctive contribution of service and excellence, in the Catholic tradition, to higher education in Northern Ireland. St Mary's is an academic community committed to the search for meaning and value in the intellectual life, to academic excellence and to individual attention for students. We work for the development of the whole person in a Christian, values-sensitive...Read More
191 Falls Road
St Mary's University College